Thursday, October 18, 2012

Sunset moment.

When  Debi and I first started dating we'd love to watch the sunset. Those moments became symbolic in our lives. Whenever something great happened we'd call it a "sunset moment." We've been married 16 years now and we spend every anniversary in the same place. Crystal Pier Hotel in San Diego. 9 years ago my daughter Elli began joining us on these annual getaways. This year I was at the beach with her again, playing in the waves and building sandcastles. I paused and noticed the amazing sunset and mentioned it to her. She looked up and smiled at me as if to say "Got it, it's the sun. Thanks Dad." I tried to explain how amazing it looked and how beautiful the light reflecting off the wet sand was but it was pointless. She was dragging a piece of sea weed across the sand and drawing Homer Simpson with it. She didn't have time for my sentimental notions. But it came to me the next day that the sunset moment was mine. It wasn't her moment to notice. She in fact was my sunset moment. I may as well have been asking the ocean to take notice of the stars. She at that moment was a big reason I was taking it all in. In time she will develop her own sunset moments. I am lucky to have Debi and Elli with me during my time on the planet. I'm glad I let those sunsets sneak in and remind me.

2 comments:

  1. That was the most beautiful thing I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete